*we accept ODSP and bill directly to Ontario Works Private Insurance
What are Orthotics?
Custom fitted Orthotics are biomechanical inserts that support or correct the alignment of the foot to reduce strain and stress on your body. Properly made orthotics are custom molded to the support requirements of your feet. They help restore the normal balance and alignment of your body by gently correcting foot abnormalities.
Many conditions such as heel pain, pain in the ball of your foot, bunions, numbness in your toes and arch pain can all be attributed to the way that your foot works. The way your feet interact with the ground has an impact on how the joints work and on how the muscles and tendons in your feet are pulled. Other factors such as lifestyle, activity level, body weight, heredity, and footware are all contributing factors to sore feet. However, supporting your feet in a better position can reduce the stress on the structures of the foot and reduce your discomfort.
Your feet are your base of support for the rest of your body. An imbalance of the bones of the feet can result in abnormal foot function and results in rotation of the legs. This rotation can affect the knees, hips and back. By putting the feet in a better position, it reduces the rotation of the legs and the strain on the joints and muscles. Custom orthotic devices are made to realign your feet to address your specific issues and improve your back pain.
The knee is an important joint for moving us through life and when it is sore, we can suffer many aspects of daily function such as walking, running, climbing and sitting. Knee pain is commonly described as a general discomfort in the inner knee area, aggravated by activity or prolonged sitting. Patients with knee pain often have abnormal tracking of the kneecap toward the outer side of the thigh. This slightly off kilter pathway allows the undersurface of the kneecap to grate along the bone causing chronic inflammation and pain. Females, people who are knock-kneed and people with flat feet are more prone to discomfort. All of these factors lead to abnormal pull of muscles and strain on the surrounding joints. Reducing pain in the knee is related to repositioning the foot into a better supportive position. Orthotic devices in conjunction with the proper footware are the solution to improving the alignment of the feet and reducing the pain in the knees.
What’s New in Orthotics!
What Does Your Walk Say About You?
Metascan by Footmaxx
- offers a more accurate diagnosis and treatment
- mat allows us to configure sensitivity for different gaits
- used for balance testing, vestibular testing, and therapeutic protocols
- generates a custom report with detailed analysis of patient’s gait
- orders processed quicker
- Useful in detecting leg length discrepancies
- Features four orthotics specifically designed for the stages of Diabetes.
Fascinating Foot Facts
- 25% of the bones in your body are in your feet
- The average person takes 8,000 to 10,000 steps per day
- The average person will walk over 100,000 miles in their lifetime, or more than 4 trips around the world.
- Women have four times as many foot problems as men- blame it on fancy, ill-fitting footwear
- More than 75% of people will experience foot problems in their lifetime